Full and happy

Los Angeleno by birth, Northwesterner by choice, Second-hander by nature. Librarian, housebound chef, father, and lowly subject ruled over by the needs and whims of a very old house.
Partial to Mexican, Italian and Vietnamese cookery but will eat damn near anything. Collector of many strange things..the result is chaos and anarchy and a very pleasant place to live.
There is pleasure in accumulation, not just "collecting": music, books and film, in all their multi-formated glory. Outsider artists and those kinds of prints you would recognize if you took liberal studies classes in college. Cooking implements and gadgets for recipes still untried or those ventured. Glasses for most types of libations. Flowers in the garden, herbs in the pot.
It's a life of the senses and a good home life reflects that. Walking helps take in all the rest. Requires no special equipment, opens up the pores, brightens the taste buds, clears the decks for further adventures, puts on the miles, widens the eyes and helps fuel the imagination.

Live boldly, play graciously and love with all your heart knowing that true love comes only once or twice in this lifetime. Speaking of which..donde estas, Empress of my Heart?

Salud!

"Lack imagination and miss the better story" Yann Martel

"Life is a great adventure and I want to say to you, accept it in such spirit. I want to see you face it ready to do the best that lies in you to win out. To go down without complaining and abiding by the result....the worst of all fears is the fear of living." Theodore Roosevelt, Jr.

"Not I - not anyone else, can travel that road for you
You must travel it for yourself" Walt Whitman


And above all, friends should possess the rare gift of sitting. They should be able, no, eager, to sit for hours-three, four, six-over a meal of soup and wine and cheese, as well as one of twenty fabulous courses.

Then, with good friends of such attributes, and good food on the board, and good wine in the pitcher, we may well ask,

When shall we live if not now?

-From Serve it Forth,
M.F.K. Fisher


Sunday, September 27, 2009

10 things I do every day


It's all about discipline, buddy.

You take these things for granted as only a worker bee can, you just get up and strap on the feedbag and press your clothes and jump into your car and just do it, punch the clock, stand and take your customer's grief and boss's crap and you just do it, get up every morning and do it, not only because you want to get paid but because you truly love the work. You may not get to say that very often with conviction, especially if you've had a toxic kind of day, the kind of day where admin passes down assinine directive and a customer leaves a trail of biohazardous stuff on the carpets around the building and you find that your tire is flat and dog is sick and the roof is leaking and you end up late for work late and they say that it's okay but that look you get from your coworkers says it's not. Someday's you wonder if it would have been better to stay in bed.

To that I say "no".

It doesn't matter if you are gainfully employed or out of work you still have to get out of bed. You really no choice if you are true worker bee, if you truly value the benefits of getting out of bed and facing the day. It's more than just getting up just so can tell your mate or partner or spouse or internet pal that you did something meaningful with your day as they get up and take on the slog. It's just so you can feel good about using the most precious gift imaginable, and that's another day standing upright on God's green earth.

So, every day I have my things to do list that has nothing to do with projects. I know that someday soon the weather will change and the idea of sending out for Chinese food and staying in bed all day watching movies and sipping champagne with a lover will sound great, but for the moment it's all about me and the world and the things that need doing.

Every day I have ten things that I have to do in order to make that day worth while. Your list will be different than mine but my life right now is quite different than yours, different than I planned or could have even predicted...

Every day I get up at or around 8:00, hit the bathroom, brush my teeth and while I have a mouth full of brush and suds fill up the kettle, grind beans and turn on the heat. I let the cat in after my morning's brushing is done, restock his three bowls with dry, water and a spot of tuna. While my beans soak I fire up the computer and prepare for a morning's worth of internet work

Every day I spend one or more hours cruising the 'net for work. Somedays I get a hit that requires another hour or so filing an online application. Somedays I just look and that's okay, too.
Every day I do my US Navy S/S/S routine. Keeping the body clean and the face fresh and approachable is key maintaining a positive outlook and keeps me ready for whatever lurks outside the door.

Every day I do up a "things to do" list, even if that list is just for show. Well, hasn't been yet. Every day it carries over and plus it's a good tool for helping me see how much I've gotten done and out of the way

Every day I walk, even if the walk of the day is from the car to the market, the car parked way the hell out there. Some days I just couldn't take it if it wasn't for my walk. Most days I try to hit the Cedar Heights track around five. Not always possible but there it is.

Everyday I make contact with the world, be it on the net, on the phone or in person. Maintaining contact with friends has become so important and valuable to me that I can't even begin to tell you how important it has become. When you are surrounded by patrons and work mates you take this foregranted. For awhile there I lived so completely in my head that I got startled just hearing my voice spoken out loud.

Everyday I fire up one or two good meals. Not a boilie bag or a microwave dinner but something real, something that requires thought and preparation time. Cans, boxes and plastic bags cannot be considered dirty dishes, ever.

Every day I wait until six to have a glass of wine. No slacking there. I promised myself I would never go the "Frank Baez" route, the one that would allow for me to sit and booze the day away waiting for the phone to ring. Never, ever, period.

Every day I read up new recipes, try to listen to some new piece of music that I have never heard before and do my best to fit in a movie, never mind whether or not I've seen it before. Every day I do my best to stay informed and read three papers.It is important to maintain that info edge, to stay knowledgeable about what's hot and then stay abreast of the stories. Every day I do my best to share some piece of hot intell, either with friends face to face or with you here in this blog space.

And every day I write. Right now it's this little piece. Later on it'll be letters, or my novel, or posts to my friend Jane. Every day, every day, I write because writing is what got me here, got me to this place where I get to practice my ten things that I must do every day. Every day I ponder over the power of the written word and write out a piece of my mind for I know that for some it thrills, for some it brings a smile and for some, well, it scares the living shit out of them because, baby, my words you just can't corral. Just like time, just like the days that come and go out the window like shadows and the breeze.

Hey, let's make that eleven things. Every day, no matter what, count your blessings.

Salud!

Every day

No comments: